We're happy that you're interested in recycling and look forward to serving you. Please review our frequently asked questions about metal recycling and our services at Charlie's. If you can't find an answer to your question, please feel welcome to Contact Charlie's today!
- Ferrous: steel, cast iron, appliances, cars
- Non-Ferrous: copper, brass, stainless steel, aluminum, batteries, catalytic converters
- More details can be found on our Recycling Services Page.
- Household batteries. We only accept vehicle/industrial batteries. Undamaged lead acid vehicle batteries. Gas tanks must be drained.
- Tires (we will take metal rims)
- Unspent airbag canisters and other explosive materials
- Closed containers, paint buckets, food containers
- Garbage, rags, paper, glass, wood, dirt, concrete, and other debris
- Wet transformers
- Light ballasts, no PCBs, no capacitors or fluorescent tubes
- All fluids must be drained from cars, appliances, etc.
- Smoke detectors
- Tanks must have both ends of tank cut out and must be dry with no residue or smell
- No radioactive/toxic materials
NC State law forbids the buying of the following items:
- Any regulated metal marked with the initials or other identification of a telephone, cable, electric, water or other public utility, or any brewery.
- Any utility access covers, street light pole or fixture, highway, street sign, road or bridge guard rail or water meter cover.
- Any metal beer keg, including any made of stainless steel that is clearly marked as being property of the beer manufacturer.
- Any traffic directional or control sign, traffic light signal.
- Any regulated metal marked with the name of a government entity, historical marker, grave marker or burial vase.
- Any property owned by a railroad and marked and otherwise identified as such.
- All personal payments are made in CASH, except as described below according to NC States Laws.
NC State Law Requires:
- Payment by check for any purchase of copper.
- All payments over $100.00 per customer per day for all non-ferrous must be made by check.
- Fingerprints when buying catalytic converters and/or air conditioning evaporators and condensers. Payments for these items will be made by check.
- Any junk car that is less than 10 years old requires a state issued title to be given to the buyer (recycler/recycling center/junkyard) before you will be paid for the car. Cars older than 10 years old may be junked without a title.
You can view current NC Scrap Metal Laws HERE.
Tuesday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday: 8:00 AM - Noon
Sundays and Mondays: CLOSED
You MUST have a current, valid state or federally issued photo ID.
A foreign driver's license or ID (including passports} is NOT accepted.